Department profile submitted by Higgs & Johnson
Members of the Commercial Transactions practice group have had substantial experience as advisors on all Bahamian aspects of commercial cross-border transactions, including sales, mergers and acquisitions, financings, and agreements.
The group has extensive experience in the regulatory and anti-money laundering fields and are able to assist applicants for licenses or registration to operate under various financial services related regimes, satisfying the regulatory requirements relative to anti-money-laundering and counter financing of terrorism.
Partners in the practice group have been instrumental in the drafting and implementation of several important pieces of legislation, including:
- serving as private sector advisor to the Bahamas government on the restructuring of financial services industry legislation in response to the initiative of the FSF, FATF and OECD;
- advising on the drafting of legislation to modernise the casino gaming industry in The Bahamas; and
- assisting the financial services industry in drafting Acts relating to Purpose Trusts, Foundations, Private Trust Companies and Executive Entities.
The group has substantial experience as advisers on all such financing projects, including but not limited to:
- Syndicated Loan Agreement
- International Foreign Exchange Agreements
- Re-Invoicing Agreements
- Bond Issues
- Security Interests
- Credit Transactions
- Share Purchase Agreements