Department profile submitted by Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (Russia) LLP
Goltsblat BLP focuses on identifying unrecognised issues and designing solutions to difficult strategic corporate tax, VAT, customs and personal wealth challenges:
• Maximising business income by helping clients increase their profit and improve their cashflow through optimal tax planning;
• Maximising value in a transaction by helping clients minimise the negative impact of taxes on the transfer of cash and assets in a transaction;
• Defending taxpayers against Tax and Customs authorities, starting from development of a defence strategy to representation during the appeal procedure and in Russian courts;
• Designing and revising corporate structures to manage transfer pricing issues and minimise the negative impact of taxes on business growth;
• Preserving and enhancing personal and family wealth by helping clients protect their assets, assisting with succession planning or selling their business.
As any Russian tax practitioner knows, tax litigation is an inevitable element of the Russian tax landscape. Russian tax authorities are notorious for having a fiscal focus during tax audits, with more than 90% of field audits resulting in an assessment. By extensively validating the conclusions through the relevant court practice, as well as addressing antimonopoly and civil law issues when necessary, we stand by our recommendations. If necessary, we will passionately defend the position in Russian courts. Our practice attorneys have won well over 1,000 case.