Managing Partner: Michael B Solow
Number of partners worldwide: 161
Number of other lawyers worldwide: 300
Languages: Chinese, Japanese, Korean
CONTACTS For more information, please visit www.kayescholer.com
Contact: Yingxi Fu-Tomlinson (Partner)
Tel: +86 21 2208 3610
Contact: Alice Young (Partner)
Tel: +1 212 836 8047
“This team’s expertise encompasses a broad array of work thanks to a strong core of experience and know-how for completing innovative deals in the PRC. It is continually sought out by a number of Japanese, US and European corporates looking to invest in the PRC. Key clients include Callaway Golf, Hyatt, and Staples.” Chambers Asia 2012 (Tier 1, Corporate M&A).
Founded in New York in 1917, Kaye Scholer combines the continuity and business acumen of a long-established law firm with a forward-looking, tech savvy, results-driven approach centered around lasting client relationships.With industry strengths in life sciences, financial services, technology, real estate, and energy and infrastructure, Kaye Scholer offers strategic guidance and legal services to Fortune 500, middle-market corporations and government entities facing litigation, transactional or governance challenges. Kaye Scholer’s lawyers regularly advise on matters across multiple legal jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, UK, EU, China and Japan.
Main Areas of Practice:
Active in the Greater China market since the 1970s, Kaye Scholer expanded its practice with the arrival of Abe Ribicoff, the former US Senator who sponsored the bill granting China “most favoured nation” status, opening up trade between the US and China. The firm subsequently became the first New York-based law firm to establish a Shanghai office.
Building upon this legacy, the China practice today is distinguished by the depth of local focus and breadth of industry knowledge, and the trust clients place in its strategic advice related to their China operations. The firm also counsels leading Chinese enterprises focused on entering the global marketplace.
The firm’s Asia-Pacific team of bilingual professionals hail from diverse backgrounds and have broad cross-cultural experience. Many were born and raised in China, have been educated in top law schools in China and the US, and have practiced law in both countries. Others are US-qualified attorneys with extensive experience advising on China, Japan and East Asia-related matters. Drawing on offices in three continents, the firm provides 24/7 coverage for clients around the world.
• AdvisedAmerican Securities LLC in its acquisition of Unifrax I LLC, a leading global manufacturer of ceramic fibre insulation products, including handling due diligence and reviewing documentation in five Asian jurisdictions. Unifrax has 25 manufacturing facilities across 11 countries, servicing customers in more than 80 countries
• Represented private equity firm Compass Partners in its sale of Drake Beam Morin, the world’s third-largest provider of career transition and talent development services, to Adecco Group, the global leader in Human Resource services, for approximately EUR149 million. Shanghai lawyers supervised and coordinated the review of the sale in five jurisdictions in the Asia Pacific region
• Represented Hony Capital regarding fund advice relating to its investment in New China Life Insurance
• Advised Le Du Du (a Chinese kindergarten operator) regarding an investment by a private equity consortium
• Representing the plaintiff in Merial v. Fujita Pharmaceuticals, a patent infringement action before the Tokyo District Court regarding Merial’s blockbuster drug Frontline, which repels fleas and ticks on dogs and cats. The firm is also representing Merial in an ongoing case before the IP High Court in Japan, which is an appeal from an invalidation trial of the same patent
• Assisted Metso Automation Inc. with securing a complex and novel technology licence for the formation of a new joint venture with Guodian Nanjing Automation Co., Ltd., to collaborate in the production and sale of distributed control systems and other power plant equipment
• Counselled Tishman Speyer regarding investment exits in China
- Suites 3806-3811, CITIC Square,
- 1168 Nanjing Xi Rd,
- Tel +86 212208 3600
- Fax +86 21 2208 3700
- Website : www.kayescholer.com