Chairman & Managing Partner: Teshome Gabre-Mariam Bokan
Number of lawyers: 5
Languages: Amharic, English, French
Based in Addis Ababa, Teshome Gabre-Mariam Bokan Law Office provides a full range of corporate, commercial and transactional legal advisory services. The founder started his legal career as the Legal Advisor of Ethiopian Air Lines. He has also served as the Attorney General and Minister of State at the Ministry of Mines and Energy in the Government of Ethiopia. He has represented and continues to represent both governmental and private clients. In the public sector, he has advised the United Nations on matters pertaining to the revitalisation of the mining industry of many African nations. He also represents large mining companies in connection with various major projects. Since 1982, the firm has provided innovative, client-focused commercial advice on energy, natural resources development, investments, commercial transactions, banking and finance, arbitration,mergers and acquisitions and international joint ventures. The firm has also built up a substantial practice in commercial litigation, intellectual property and employment law. The firm’s clients include large corporates in Europe, Japan and Northern America.
Main Areas of Practice:
The firm is involved in various areas of practice including international finance, joint ventures, energy and natural resource development, commercial transactions (including the international sale of goods), investment, trade arbitration and litigation, and Intellectual property.
The firmhas represented major commercial banks in North America, Europe, the Middle East, the Far East and Africa in syndicated and single bank loans to governments, international organisations, practice companies, and private borrowers. The firm has a well developed practice that assists banking and corporate clients, both public and private, in the recovery of debts, discounting or swapping of debts and the restructuring of debt obligations.
The firm assists companies in all facets of corporate activities, starting with the formation of a company under local laws. The firm advises corporate clients on labour, tax and banking issues. It has also represented a number of clients interested in franchising and distribution throughout Africa.
Mining & Petroleum:
The firm has represented and continues to represent both governmental and private clients in the mining and petroleum industries. The firm also represents large mining companies in connection with various major projects.
Extensive experience in arbitration proceeding under ICC and UNICITRAL Rules. Some of the transactions that the firm has dealt with include:
• Adviser to AFD (a government development agency) in relation to a loan facility advanced to Ethiopian Airlines for the expansion and upgrading of its multi-aviation training centre
• Adviser to BNP Paribas,Crédit Industriel et Commercial where Agence Francaise De Developpement (“AFD”) was involved, in connection with a loan facility advanced to the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation for the Ashegoda Wind Mill Project
• Local counsel to Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, in connection with an export credit facility advanced to Ethiopian Electric Power Cooperation for the construction of Gigel Gibe III hydro-electric power dam
• Local counsel to Industrial and Commercial Bank, in connection with an export credit facility advanced to Ethiopian Electric Power Cooperation for the construction of Gigel Gibe III hydro-electric power dam
• Local counsel with regard to a loan advanced in favour of a local cement factory by European Investment Bank, Development Bank of Ethiopia, International Finance Corporation and Africa Development Bank
• Legal counsel to Canaco Resources Inc. a company incorporated and registered in Canada and its wholly owned subsidiary, Canaco Ethiopia (Barbados) Inc. in connection with Canaco Ethiopia’s acquisition of 70% of the outstanding shares of Beijing Donia Resources Co. Ltd in an Ethiopian entity,Harvest Mining Private Limited Company
• Legal counsel to Golden Prospect Mining Company Limited (100% owned by Minerva Resources Plc which in turn is owned by Nyota Minerals Limited, an Australian company listed on stock exchange in Australia and the United Kingdom), the largest shareholder in Yubdo Platinum and Development PLC (a private limited company registered in Ethiopia) undertaking mining in Western Welega Zone, Oromia Region, Ethiopia and in Tulu Kapi
• Adviser to PDL Toll, an Australian publicly listed company and the Asian region’s leading provider in integrated logistics services registered in Ethiopia and providing professional support services to BHP Billiton World Exploration Inc. (“BHPB”) in support of its Danakil Potash Exploration Project
Key Clients: Diageo Plc; Coca Cola Company; China Development Bank, Sinoma Construction Company, Siemens Aktiengesellschaft; Boeing Company; Seacom Limited; Dell Company, GlaxoSmithKline; Future Groups Inc.; AeroTurbine, Inc. Aviation Solutions by AerCap Group; International Finance Corporation (IFC); Afrinord Hotels; International Monetary Fund (IMF); Cisco Systems, Inc; European Investment Bank; Africa Development Bank; Development Bank of Ethiopia; Médecins Sans Frontières-France; Médecins Sans Frontières-Belgium, among others.
Contact: Teshome Gabre-Mariam Bokan
Tel: +251 11 551 8484/4069
- PO Box 101485,
- Kebele 02/36, No.171,
- Kirkos Sub-City,
- Addis Ababa,
- Tel +251 11 551 8484
- Fax +251 11 551 3500
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org