"The best marketing tool we've ever had."
For all marketing queries, please contact Brad Sirott, Business Development Manager, or call him on +44 207 778 1627.
Unlocking Your Marketing Potential
How to get on the Ranking Radar
The Chambers guides are based on in-depth research. Firms and individuals must be recommended to merit inclusion. Our researchers conduct interviews with clients and other lawyers to build up a picture of the sector and of the leading players within it. We use this research to compile our ranking tables. Position in the tables is determined solely by reputation in the market and the knowledge of the profession accumulated by our editorial staff.
If you feel that, in a previous edition, we have overlooked someone who deserves to be included, please tell us.
The researcher will call ahead to arrange a convenient time to speak with the partners. Telephone interviews all follow a similar format, as follows.
- The lawyers will have the opportunity to talk about their practice. They will then be asked about who else they recommend in the market.
- Partners are encouraged to have last year's list in front of them and to spend a few minutes before the interview collecting their thoughts on the rankings of the firms and the individuals. This is the most valuable part of the interview to the researchers. Any comments made are completely unattributable, so if you believe a high-ranking firm is too high or too low then say so. Be firm but polite if providing negative comments, e.g. "Joe Bloggs is a capable lawyer, but certainly not at the same level as the others you've included in band 4." The researcher will look for quotes about leading individuals, ones which capture the essence of an individual. This is where you can help them by being prepared.
The calls typically last 20 minutes, and the researcher will ask about the following:
- client references
- the individual lawyers' practice (specifically matters in the last year)
- the firm's practice (good opportunity to highlight matters and suggest a couple of additional people they should consider)
- market developments
- the competitors (who else is top in the field?).
What the Clients Want
Chambers conducts thousands of interviews with clients, not only to gain feedback on the law firms but also on their views of the directory itself and how it can be improved. The directories have been developed over a number of years and now have a format which closely reflects the wishes of in-house counsel and the vast majority of purchasers/users of legal services.
For example, we adopted the use of firm profiles in each of the books as clients were impressed by the information they had on the individuals and firms we ranked, but wanted to put this information into context i.e. how significant is that particular practice within the firm, how big is the firm, how international, etc.
These are things the law firms themselves need to address and the profiles allow them to do this. We include individual profiles as clients wanted some history about the individuals we ranked, their background and previous experience.
Reproduction of Chambers Content
We are happy for you to reproduce our content on a limited basis, for example:
- extracts and quotes from the editorial
- reproduction of a ranking table
- using our logo in any form, including as an active link on your web site to results on the online version of Chambers directories.
If you would like to use any of the above we require that it is reproduced in its entirety. The content must not be changed.
Rules of Attribution
Ranking tables and quotes from editorial must clearly be attributed with the words: "From Chambers [Global 2007 / USA 2006 / UK 2006 / Europe 2007 etc]".
Any Chambers content reproduced online should be accompanied by a Chambers logo and linked to our web site: www.chambersandpartners.com
Please notify us if you plan to use any content or graphics from Chambers' directories by emailing Brad Sirott with the relevant details, or call him on +44 207 778 1627.
"Using quotes from Chambers' on our web site and in our tender documents helps us differentiate ourselves from the competitors. We're not saying we're the best- a trusted independent guide says we are, and that makes all the difference to clients."
10 May 2012: Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence, Amsterdam
16th May 2013: GC Seminar, London Sponsor-backed IPOs: IPO Exits of Portfolio Companies
21st May 2013: GC Seminar, New York Hackers Are After Your Data!: Practical Ways To Reduce Data Security Breach Exposure
23 May 2013: Chambers USA Awards for Excellence 2013, New York
24 May 2013: Launch of Chambers USA 2013, New York and online
29th May 2013: GC Seminar, New York Going Mobile: IP and Privacy Considerations
4th June 2013: GC Seminar, Houston Challenges in Creating An Effective and Coordinated Global Compliance Program
9 September 2013: Chambers Latin America Awards 2013, Miami
10 September 2013: Launch of Chambers Latin America 2014, online
3rd October 2013: Chambers Bar Awards 2013, London