- Chairman: Joseph C Shenker
- Senior Chairman: H Rodgin Cohen
Firm Overview: Sullivan & Cromwell LLP provides the highest quality legal advice and representation to clients worldwide.The firm’s record of success and unparalleled client service has set it apart for more than 130 years and made the firm a model for the modern practice of law.Today, S&C is a leader in each of its core practice areas and geographic markets.The firm advises a diverse range of clients on major domestic and cross-border M&A and corporate finance transactions, high-stakes litigation and corporate investigations and complex regulatory, tax and estate planning matters.S&C comprises approximately 800 lawyers who conduct a seamless, global practice through a network of 12 offices located in key financial centers in Asia, Australia, Europe and the United States.
Main Areas of Practice:
Antitrust & EC Competition:
• S&C has one of the most diverse global practices in contentious and non-contentious antitrust and competition law. The firm provides clients a coordinated approach for securing clearances in the US, the EU and elsewhere for major mergers, and its practice extends to successful efforts in court and before enforcement agencies on competition law-based challenges to the assertion of intellectual property.
• S&C leads global rankings in both volume and value of offerings and on its ability to structure novel and effective transactions in the representation of issuers, underwriters, selling and controlling shareholders, and other market participants around the world.
• No law firm has a more thorough understanding of evolving corporate governance requirements and practices, as Dodd-Frank and other legislation has led to greater emphasis on board independence and corporate governance controls. The firm’s advice is tailored for the specific company taking into account its unique circumstances based on a deep knowledge of current market practices.
• S&C’s premier Executive Compensation and Benefits Practice advises on a full range of corporate, securities, tax and employment law matters. The firm’s lawyers represent many of the largest global companies on employment arrangements, corporate governance, succession matters and incentive compensation plan design, as well as senior executives in negotiations, and play a key role in the firm’s securities and M&A practices.
• S&C remains the leading global law firm on transactional, regulatory, enforcement and other matters affecting financial institutions. The firm’s expertise extends to clients in the banking, brokerdealer, commodities, futures and derivatives, insurance, and investment management sectors. The firm has worked with its clients on achieving their strategic business objectives despite the challenges of an unpredictable and difficult global economic climate. In an increasingly complex regulatory environment, S&C has been at the forefront in educating clients on legislative and regulatory developments.
Healthcare & Life Sciences:
• S&C has played a leading role in the consolidation of the healthcare industry, advising on eight of the 10 largest pharmaceutical M&A deals to date. The firm represents global companies in healthcare and life sciences, including those involved in research, pharmaceuticals and emerging technology, as well as insurance and managed care providers. The firm also represents smaller biotechnology concerns in strategic acquisitions and capital-raising efforts, and advises clients on new legislation and regulatory developments.
Intellectual Property and Technology:
• S&C assists clients globally with the full spectrum of intellectual property and technology issues, including in significant M&A transactions, complex patent and other IP disputes, as well as in licensing matters.
• S&C combines a traditional investment management and an alternative investment management practice to provide expertise in transactional, structuring, trading, advisory and regulatory matters. The group is at the forefront of assisting clients in the new challenges and opportunities resulting from Dodd-Frank and the changing landscape of the industry.
• The firm’s Litigation Group takes a global, multidisciplinary approach to every matter and is regularly chosen as lead counsel in many of the highest profile and most complex matters before courts, arbitration panels and regulators.The firm maintains a strong record of success in its Intellectual Property and Technology Practice and in its Labour and Employment Practice.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
• S&C mobilises teams of lawyers worldwide for clients on their largest and most important domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. The firm has advised principals in more than $1.2 trillion in announced transactions and parties in eight of the ten largest announced deals worldwide from 2007 to 2011.
• S&C’s Private Equity Group advises clients on both strategic M&A and other investments and on capital markets and M&A exit strategies. The firm represents numerous private equity funds, portfolio companies and bidding vehicles in acquisitions and dispositions in a range of industries worldwide and also has a robust practice advising on fund formations.
Project Development & Finance:
• S&C is the preeminent firm for corporate finance, including project, leveraged and infrastructure finance, and has a strong practice in natural resource projects and public-private partnership structures for infrastructure in developed and emerging markets.
• S&C’s Real Estate Group combines public/private market expertise and innovative dealmaking skills to assist clients in purchasing, selling, developing and financing real estate companies and assets worldwide, and represents clients in restructuring real estate and other assets to facilitate generational transition and/or resolve disputes. The practice includes bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, financial institutions, M&A, private equity, securities, structured finance and professional sports-related transactions.
Restructuring & Bankruptcy:
• S&C’s Restructuring and Bankruptcy Group provides clients the creative and commercially effective advice necessary to weather market changes. The group helps clients buy and sell distressed businesses, extend credit with less risk, protect their rights during counterparty bankruptcies, establish best practices for corporate governance insolvency and preserve the value of their businesses while changing capital structures.
• S&C’s Tax Group has a global reputation for innovative tax planning, the successful resolution of tax controversies, as well as providing pivotal tax advice on corporate transactions. S&C plays a significant role in structuring new, tax-advantaged financial instruments and complex M&A transactions and represents prominent industrial and commercial enterprises in US, French, UK and cross-border tax matters.
INTERNATIONAL OFFICES: Beijing, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Melbourne, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo